We are living in a F.O.M.O. (Fear Of Missing Out) world with plenty of digital distraction. Mobile, Social Media and Messaging solutions (amongst others) have been a technology enabler for this important phenomena. It remains to be seen how we keep dealing with this engineered distraction in the future.
The future for Internet services is to focus on platforms (communities) and not isolated products (features). The current social media services are a good example of that.
Social Media comes in various types. For example: Facebook is a situational platform (it is about who you are, who you know, where you are), whilst Pinterest is an aspirational platform (who you want to be, who you want to know, where you want to be). The plan of attack depends largely on the type of platform.
Connect, Engage, Amplify!
The BEA Model:
- Build: foundation, audit, setup.
- Engage: community building, conversation management.
- Activate or Amplify: advertising, apps.
A few social media Services Pillars:
- Strategy: vision, roadmap, organization and governance;
- Intelligence: listening, social analytics, integrated analytics and market research;
- Interaction: community management, moderation, customer service and PR/Crisis;
- Design & Development: UX, content, creative concepts, and content curation and crowd sourcing;
- Platform Management: build, integration and technical maintenance;
- Optimization: paid media, owned media integration and workflows.
- My Project Portfolio.
- Facebook Advertising.
- Facebook Page: Feestdagen Belgie.
- Facebook App: Fotospel (a popular game).
- Facebook App: BMI Berekenen (health app).
- Social Frenzy (A Google Chrome plugin that analyzes Facebook Page Audiences).
Areas of Expertise
Social Media Optimization
- FB Page Timelines optimization.
- Optimize Google+ Business Pages optimization.
- Pinterest content production.
- Reddit subReddit optimization.
- Tumblr blog optimization.
- Twitter profiles optimization.
A subset of various tasks
- Social community development.
- Social media optimization.
- Social endorsement.
- Conduct a needs analysis.
- Create “Like” incentives.
A quote from Mark Zuckerberg @ November 2007: “For the last hundred years, media has been pushed out to people, but now marketers are going to be part of the conversation. And they’re going to do this by using the social graph, in the same way our users do.”
Fact: most page action occurs in the newsfeed of the fans and the Sponsored Stories sidebar and the Events sidebar so… NOT on the page itself so News Feed Engagement (Liking, Sharing) and Facebook Sponsored Story Ads are key to success.
Facebook EdgeRank, recently being complemented with Story Bump Signals and Last Actor Signal:
A subset of the Facebook expertise:
- Community Management and Moderation Managed Services.
- Data collection via the FB Open Graph.
- Games, Fan Gating, Email collectors, Quizzes.
- Geo Localization of Pages and Tab Apps and Apps.
- Graph Search features.
- Page Management and Publishing.
- Page design and development.
- Places & Offers Management.
- Tracking Apps and Page Tabs using Google Analytics.
- Develop custom app dashboards for an app administrator so the person can monitor and operate a Facebook App. For example: the FotoSpel Facebook Game has a Dashboard to monitor the game scores, to monitor the game players, to display (facebook) app statistics, to send notifications to the players of the game, and to cleanup the database, etc.
- Develop Facebook Login-enabled Applications.
- Establish Open Graph integrations (standard verbs via the Game API, but also custom verbs).
- Facebook Apps.
- PHP Framework for Facebook development of Apps.
- SOP to add an App.
- Facebook Custom Page Tabs development.
- PHP Framework for Facebook development of Page Tab Apps.
- SOP to add a Page Tab App.
- PHP Libraries.
- Facebook PHP SDK.
Note that Google+ is not just a social media Network (a visual portal la Facebook) but also a social media Platform with its own Knowledge Graph which is used within the social media Network but also within other Google services and solutions such as for generating the Google Search results and to discover Google Authorities.
- Design Google+ Pages.
- Setup your Business Pages on Google+.
- Identify your business page as a Publisher for a website (e.g. www.feestdagen-belgie.be).
The most popular photo-sharing app for smartphones and owned by Facebook since 2012. It is very popular with famous people in e.g. the music industry in order to connect with their fans. Instagram is typically used to offer behind-the-scenes information; for example the making of a videoclip or a few photos & short videos of a company weekend.
- Establish a playbook to establish your brand on Instagram.
A dedicated aspirational image sharing social network.
Audience: Women, 25-45y, Suburban.
Typical imagery is in a magazine-cover-style and with an artistic touch: design clothing, design buildings, infographics, step-by-step instructographics.
- Brainstorm viral content.
- Plan your Pin Boards.
- Upload your imagery.
- Add your landing Page URL to your image (in the image itself, the Description field and the Link field)
- Monetize using the landing pages.
- Integrate your other Social Media campaigns.
- Connect with the audience: populate your own pinboards, promote them on other social network using tweets or facebook advertising.
- Engage your followers: Repin, Like.
- Amplify: Run a promotion, Encourage pinning, Interact with your followers, Create user-generated pinboards.
- Reddit subReddit template design.
- Setup a Tumblr blog.
- Designing Twitter profile pages.
- Management using tools such as Tweetdeck.
- Developed the “Twitter Dungeon API” web service to serve & cache tweets to various consumers, e.g. to desktop websites and mobile web apps.
- Setup a YouTube Channel.
YouTube is the second biggest search engine behind Google. So there are a lot of eye balls to get in front of!
Tools and Services
- AllFacebook App Statistics.
- AllFacebook Page Statistics.
- BlitzMetrics Social Media Dashboard.
- Facebook Page Insights.
- Facebook URL Debugger.
- FollowerWonk Tweet Analyzer.
- Google Social Connections and Content.
- HootSuite social message manager.
- Hubspot Twitter Grader.
- Ping.fm social message distributor.
- PinReach.com Analytics for Pinterest.
- SocialBakers Facebook (Page) Statistics.
- SocialMention real-time social media search and analysis.
- Timely.Is tweet scheduler.
- TweetDeck twitter manager (decommissioned).
- TwitterFeed social message distributor.
- Wildfire Social Marketing Suite (acquired by Google).